Sunday 1 May 2011

Lavender Cuttings

Every garden should have at least one lavender plant as they are easy to grow in any well drained garden soil and have a wonderful scent. I have grown a few different varieties of lavender but my favourite is the Old English Lavender which grows to a height and spread of about 36 inches. The foliage is silver grey and the highly scented flowers are a pale lavender blue. It is very popular with the bees as well which is another good reason to grow it.
According to my plant reference book cuttings of lavender should be taken in August or September but I always take my cuttings around April time. I take 3 to 4 inch long cuttings from the new soft growth on the tips of the branches. The ends are dipped in hormone rooting powder and the cuttings inserted into 3 inch pots filled with ordinary multi purpose compost. The pots are kept moist but not too wet and put into a sheltered place such as the cold frame or greenhouse. I always take more cuttings than I need to allow for failures. Extra plants can be given as presents to family and friends.
My original Old English Lavender was a cutting off a plant belonging to my mother. This was given to me 30 years ago and my present plants are descendants of that original plant.
I also grow the smaller 'Hidcote' variety in pots. These have darker purple blue flowers which are also very fragrant.  I also grew two french lavender plants but unfortunately they proved to be less hardy than their english counterparts and did not survive last winter's severe cold weather.
Lavender flowers can be dried to use in herb sachets or pot pourri. Cut the long flowering stems when the flower buds are plump but before they have opened. Tie the stems together and hang up in a dry place. Alternatively lay them on a wire rack in the airing cupboard if you have the space. When the flowers are completely dried you can remove them from the stems. Don't throw the stems away but burn them on an open fire where they will produce a lovely fragrance.

No comments:

Post a Comment